I'm meeting up with a friend tomorrow. Seeing 50/50 with my sister and possibly working a catering gig Thursday, have Yom Kippur Friday/Saturday, and meeting up with a writer's group to see Ides of March on Sunday. I swear there is something Wednesday night I'm forgetting. I also need to get started on rewriting my second play, apply for jobs, and get that new blog up and running. Oy.
Went on a date yesterday. I usually end up on dates with people I'm not that into and spend most of the date trying to find that one angle I find them attractive. But not this girl. I met her on Okcupid. Half of her pictures I thought she was attractive, half of them I didn't. The ones I didn't she was wearing sunglasses covering her eyes. Sure enough, in person her eyes did it. She also had a great smile. As much as I liked her, I could tell she wasn't into me. Despite the fact we had similar interests, I couldn't keep the conversation going. It kept dying and then restarting. But at least I went on a date with someone cute.
Last night was also Elena's birthday. It was my first time out at a bar scene sober. The cocktail waitress caught my eye. I decided I would introduce myself and give her number. I never give out my number, I always get theirs. The chance of contact is extremely slim when when you give them your number. But I'm not going to ask someone who's working for their number. I tore off a piece of receipt and wrote down my name, number, and "the water guy" cause she forgot to get me water for like an hour. Then I patiently waited for the right moment. Abruptly she told our party she wanted people to cash out as she was done for the night. From then on she was like a hawk, dropping checks and scooping them up as soon as they were signed. It was not the time for my charms. I waited possibly for a moment on her exit, but figured I missed her. I decided to say my goodbyes to everyone around 1. As I was on my last few people I noticed Linda (I had gotten her name earlier) darting out in her street clothes. She jumped into a cab with a coworker and so another missed opportunity.
I walked to the 1 train, stopping to grab a M&M cookie only to see Linda sitting out side the stop on her phone. I waved and said "Hi Linda." I think she was a little surprised and possibly weirded out. I could imagine what she thought. "This guy from the bar followed me at 1 am???" So I went into the stop and occupied myself on my phone. When she inevitable came down, I didn't give her any attention. She walked passed me but stopped. I kept my distance and said hi again. Then I made a joke how when I was a banquet server I couldn't stand seeing customers post shift. I just wanted to walk passed them unnoticed. This seemed to break the ice pretty well as we sat next to each other on the train and talked the whole time. As we approached my stop I prompted her: "Wanna know a secret? I've been wanted to give you my number since I was in the bar." I pulled out the paper from my pocket and handed it to her. Once again chances are slim. But at least the opportunity wasn't missed.
In both cases tonight, the date and with Linda I didn't advance physically. According to LS, romantic relationships need to advance in three ways. Emotionally, physically, and logistically. Emotion goes from attraction to comfort to sexual. Logistical means you can't stay in the same place too long. Differing locations helps build connection and progress the relationship. Then there is the physical progression. I've been told that emotional progression without physical progression = friend zone. The girl has to get comfortable with you touching her if she's ever going to be comfortable with you kissing her. It's definitely a barometer for how into you someone is. I now watch to see how other guys do this. Gay men are incredible at it. If you ever watch Scott Pilgrim vs the World, notice Wallace. But it's something I've never gotten comfortable doing. With Dangi (the girl on the date) I touched her hand once. She had an interesting birthmark. And I also tried to high five her. She just faintly held her hand up. But I guess I should be taking more chances and not be afraid to screw it up.
I've updated my resume and I should probably start applying for jobs now. Behold, my updated resume...ok for some reason my resume won't upload. Ahh...had to convert it from .pdf to .jpg. G-d bless Photoshop. I don't think you can read it. In the past, I've had two resumes. One for my desired field (production work, writing assistant, etc.) and one for waiting tables. The former highlighted my acting/theatre as I had few writing credits. The latter featured my professional experience with restaurants, Best Buy, etc. The new challenge was to design a resume that featured as much as possible while still looking clean, organized, and brief. I decided to remove specifics about each occupation. Gone are phone numbers, addresses, specific dates of employment. Instead I have more detailed job descriptions, a writing experience section, and specific production assistant credits. I think this will work best. Now I can finally start applying for jobs. Today's song
Big Rock Candy Mountain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYGCpGzFWh0
I wish I had my dvd of O Brother, Where art thou?
No comments:
Post a Comment