Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Head Versus the Heart

If you remember a few posts ago, I had a picture of Batman. I was so proud of myself for drawing it in pen. I blogged about how as an actor I used to act with my head, but I was starting to learn how to act from the heart (or body mind.) Well I'm in the midst of my Same River Twice rewrite. Due notes from numerous sources, I've decided to change the dominant conflict of the second act. In doing this, I am excising whole scenes and speeches while sewing together what  I prized enough to keep with new dialogue. It sort of a Frankenstein if you will. The biggest problem however is that all the new writing is short and to the point, it seems utilitarian, while I'm cutting monologues that meant something but no longer have a place. And that's when I realized, everything I'm doing is coming from the head. I've given my character a new scenario to deal with and I'm writing it pushing toward a plot point rather than taking the time to understand myself emotionally what these characters would be going through. No wonder this new draft seems to have no soul.

With 9 days left, all I can focus on is this new draft. I've not been this stressed out since I moved to New York.  And I'm aiming for an A+.( 98%) Before I just wanted to finish the damn thing. Now it's time to push myself to my limit. I also start my TV writing class at Gotham tonight. So yea that should be fun. OKAY enough procrastinating. Back to the grind...of my soul! But be sure to check out the Avenger's Trailer.

The Head and the Heart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3CqR_m6NO0


No comments:

Post a Comment