Wednesday, October 19, 2011

30 Rocks and Batmen

My writing has slowed as I've been taking this writing class. I stopped the rewrite on Same River Twice to focus on the homework. The homework was make character sheets for the show I'm doing, write a log line for my spec script, and a one page narrative outline for the spec script. I've decided to do 30 Rock.


If you're not familiar with a spec script, the idea is that you write an episode for a TV show. The goal for the class is to have a full spec script by the end of the class. But since other people in the class have shows to write for and I need to comment on them I need to be up to date with those shows. I've been watching a lot of TV this week.

I was worried about having my whole plot outlined. Usually I just let myself go when I write and see where it takes me. (With an image of what I want the final moment to be.) It came down to the last day and I managed to get out a pretty good plot. I actually amazed at my ability to adapt to the character's voices and sense of humor. I was spouting original Tracy Jordanisms at random yesterday.

One thing the teacher has stressed to us is that TV is a medium where you are coloring inside the lines. You are producing a product. And you are paid well for that product. But any semblance that you will be thinking outside the box is an illusion. In TV, you take the notes the network gives you and you write them or you are out of a job.  And after working in theatre for the last 6 years getting paid nothing for my art, I'm pretty okay with that. I'm good at taking notes and rewriting everything.  If I can get paid for this? Fuck yea. Also TV writers get 13 weeks off. I'll write my Pulitzer prize winning play then. 

Last night we learned about the 4 part story structure.
EVERY SHOW ON TV FOLLOWS THIS PATTERN
1. Introduce conflict
2. Escalate the conflict
3. Move to resolution
4. Resolution

Simple right? And all those 4 parts are equal in length. The tricky part is number 3. Making it slick, fulfilling, and unexpected.

Other than that I just got the new Batman: Arkham City. Played it for an hour last night. Supposedly there are a bunch of alternate Batman costumes, but I don't know how to unlock them. I've never been too nuts about the Batman design in the game. It's always struck me as Gears of War. I prefer Jae Lee's art style. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any pics, but if you ever pick up Batman: Jekyll and Hyde, the first half of it rocks and Jae Lee did the art. So I'd love to be running around as the classic 1980s Batman or the animated series Batman.

From left to right: Batman Beyond, Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Earth One, 1980s Batman, Animated series Batman, and default Arkham Asylum/City Batman (Gears of War Batman.)

I've got a job interview later today and I gotta do some laundry. Later tonight is a Street Fighter meet up group! I'm excited.

Mat Kearney -- Undeniable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvp8yIsgcpo&ob=av2e

No comments:

Post a Comment