Thought I'd get going early. Wake up. Get coffee. Read a little Art and Fear. Now for some writing.
------------
James is nervous. He rejects his impulses for safety. He needs to grow up. He's never done this before. He rings the door bell, looking around and hoping no one sees him. James is worried she'll open the door in wavy lace lingerie and he won't be able to keep his composure. He hears foot steps and the door unlocking.
She's wearing a white tee shirt and jeans. Here hair is thick and dark red. "You must be James."
"You must be Spencer." She nods with a smile. Spencer is both playful and professional simultaneously. As she welcomes him in she gently puts her hand on his bicep. James hates it when he gets an indicator of interest when he knows it can't possibly be true. It tears at some insecurity deep inside of him.
"This is a nice place." It is. "It looks like any other house."
"Well it is. What were you expecting?" Spencer is just being playfully sarcastic. James interprets her reaction as insulted and panics.
"I'm sorry. It's not that, it's just that, with the work and stuff, I wasn't expecting stripper poles or anything. I really am sorry."
"You can relax. I'm not going to bite your head off or anything. So you didn't expect me to be a normal person. I'll get over it."
"I just didn't want to be the guy, you know who, was a jerk or, treated you like...I imagine most guys do."
Spencer laughs. "Oh James. In this city guys tend to be on the nicer side."
"Well, that's good"
"I guess. Did you bring any lights?
"Lights?"
"Lighting equipment?"
"I didn't realize...I've not really done this before."
"That's okay. The lighting in this room is pretty good. There is a dimmer on the wall. It controls the lights here. If you want to move the floor lamps around you are welcome to. I'll close the blinds."
James is feeling out of his league. Both his man hood and his professional experience are being challenged.
------------------
OK it's 10am and I now need to get to writing the play. However, if either one of you guys want to give me a suggestion or request as to what happens next I'd love the challenge to take the scene in another direction. I work well off of other people's ideas.
Not sure you should use pua terms in your writing man.
ReplyDeleteBut for the next stage you could make this scene Jame's awakening, where he gets a taste of being in control and confident and it manifests in his photography techniques. He tries things he's never tried before with lighting, her position, her wardrobe. Contrast it completely to the way he entered her apartment. He entered timid but he leaves with her wanting more, and when she touches his arm this time, it isn't false affection :)
Just getting started reading these. Will contiune later. Good job so far from what I've seen.
ReplyDelete