Brian enters Michael's bedroom.
Brian: Is your mother around?
Michael: No. Why?
Brian: I'm sorry about Jessica.
Michael: Does Mom have to tell everyone? I just want to be left alone.
Brian: She didn't tell me. I had a feeling.
Michael: Great. Have your feelings somewhere else. I put that sign up for a reason.
Brian: That's no way to talk to you're Uncle.
Michael: You aren't really my Uncle. You were just a friend of my dad's.
Brian sits down in Michael's computer chair. Puts a box on his desk.
Michael: That's my chair. No one sits in it but me.
Brian: Laughs. You are so much like Jean-Luc.
Michael: I'm nothing like my father. What's the box for?
Brian: We'll get to that. Talk to me about Jessica.
Michael: I don't want to, I just want to be left alone. Grabs one of his guitars off of the wall and sit sits on the edge of the bed turned away from Brian. Michael gets up to grab the other guitar. Brian takes the seat back.
Brian: Fine. Keep your captains chair.
Michael: What?
Brian: Never mind. Brian starts to play. "With your feet on the air, and your head on the ground..."
Brian tunes the guitar. Better. "Try this trick and spin it, yea."
Michael: What is that?
Brian: You don't know the Pixies?
Michael: Do you know The Crash Course?
Brian: I don't listen to shitty music. Besides it was Jean Luc's duty to give you the gift of the Pixies. That song is called Where is My Mind? Your dad taught it to me when we were in high school. He taught me to play guitar.
Michael: Sounds like he taught you a lot more than he taught me.
Brian: He wanted to teach you a lot.
Michael: I'm sure.
Brian: When Helen was pregnant he and I would sit out in this park smoking cigars and he'd just talk about all the things he couldn't wait to teach you.
Michael: If you two hadn't been smoking so much, he might still be here.
Brian: I'm sorry you didn't get the time to spend with him I did.
Michael: Are you done? I'm sick of entertaining you.
Brian puts way the guitar and remains standing over Michael.
Brian: I know you are hurting but that doesn't give you the right to be a little shit. You are better than that.
Michael: I'll be whatever the hell I want to be. Just because you hung out with my dad doesn't make you him. You are just a sorry excuse for a father.
Brian: If Jean Luc could hear you--
Michael: But he can't.
Brian: Takes the box off the desk. You aren't ready for this.
Michael: I'm too old for your stupid toys anyway.
Brian: Too bad, you dad really wanted you have it. As he exits. By the way, I knew Jessica was cheating on you.
Michael: Bull shit.
Brian: It's true. It was with Randy wasn't it.
Michael: I didn't tell mom that.
Brian: I told you she didn't tell me. I could tell.
Michael: How?
Brian: You want me to sit down?
Michael: You didn't know.
Brian: You gave her everything. Answered every text as quickly as she sent them. You were always there for her. The perfect boy friend. Then one day you could feel her slipping away, just when you started to feels crazy about her. But she started hanging out with Randy more. Sound familiar?
Michael is silent for a bit.
Brian: I thought so. I could see her pulling away from you. I knew it was inevitable.
Michael: Why hell didn't you say anything if you knew??!!!!
Brian: You wouldn't have believed me. You barely would have listened. And you wouldn't have known what to do to keep her. You believe me now?
Michael: I did everything for her.
Brian: I know you did.
Michael: Why did she turn into a cheating whore?
Brian: Most woman will if you let them.
Michael: Let them? You are saying it was my fault!
Brian: Yes.
Michael: Fuck you! I loved her.
Brian: I know. I had this conversation with Jean-Luc quiet a few times.
Michael: I'M NOT A LOSER LIKE MY FATHER!!!!
Brian: Don't you DARE call your father a loser. He was the best man I have ever known. Will ever know. I'd be nowhere if it wasn't for him.But that doesn't mean he didn't make mistakes. He just wanted you to learn from his rather than fall into the pits of your own.
Michael: What does that have to do with Jessica?
Brian: Because we were a lot older than 16 before we learned what we needed to not let women push us around. Which exactly what happened with her. I've been there. Jean-Luc was there. But together we learned how to not let that happen. Once your father learned his shit, he was unstoppable. Don't tell Helen that by the way.
Michael: What do you mean?
Brian: You want to know how to make a girl attracted to you? Any girl attracted to you? I know you loved Jessica, but you've always wanted Stephanie.
Michael: How do you know that?
Brian: You are more like your dad than you are willing to admit. You think she's above you. But she isn't. In that box is the best present Jean-Luc could ever give you. It's self respect, confidence, identity, and what is necessary for you to be a man. I didn't become a man until I was 28. I wasted a lot of time. You don't have to. You don't have to be frustrated, wondering when the woman of your dreams will sit next to you on the bus. Or praying to God when it will be your turn. In that box are all the answers.
Michael accepts the box. But hesitates.
Brian: Open it.
Michael does.
Brian: First off is 500 Days of Summer. It's a movie that is pretty much what's going on with you and Jessica. But it will show you were you need to go. Next is Silver Bullets. It's the manual of all manuals. Everything you've been taught about women by TV, movies, and other women is a bold faced lie. Women don't know what really attracts them. And they certainly won't admit it. That book will tell you those things and it will tell you how to execute it. And then there is He Who Walks Alone No More. If Silver Bullets is the ultimate manual then He Who Walks Alone No More is the Bible. Recognize the author?
Michael: By Ezekiel?
Brian: That was your father's pen name.
Michael: He wrote a book?
Brian: He redefined everything. Jean-Luc was a fucking genius. He took everything he learned and combined it with everything he knew about psychology and wrote that book.
Michael: Why didn't he give it to me himself?
Brian: He wanted you to have it when you were 13. But I thought you needed to be a little older. With this material you are going to weld a lot of power. You needed to have your heart broken at least once. You needed to have some concept of the damage you could inflict. Plus, you were with Jessica. So you didn't need it.
Michael: Does mom know all this?
Brian: For the most part. She didn't want you to have any of it though. She wanted you to stay "sweet."
Michael: Does it really work?
Brian: You bet your ass it does. It will take some time and you are going to have to get over some fears. And you are going to need a friend to learn this with. I never would have learned it if I didn't have your dad pushing me.
Michael: How come I never saw any of this in him?
Brian: Well it got him to one place, then he met your mother and he didn't need it anymore. And once you were born he had pretty much everything he ever wanted. He spent the rest of his life struggling to maintain that. But he went though a lot of pain to get there. He just wanted to give you the short cut. I know this is a lot of material to take in especially since you've got Jessica baggage to deal with. But soon she's going to be nothing to you. I need to get going. If you have any questions let me know.
Michael: Hold up.
Brian: Yes?
Michael: Did he really talk about me when you two used to smoke in the park.
Brian: I'll put it this way. When Jean-Luc and I stumbled on to this material, we read and re-read. Drilled and practiced. Coach each other. Supported each other. Night after night. We were there for each other for glorious victories and miserable failures. We did that for years. And if you total us all those hours on the phone, the text messages, the winging. I guarantee it is less then the time he spent talking about you. Good luck.
Brian exits. Michael opens up 500 Days of Summer.
Michael: What the hell is a DVD?
No comments:
Post a Comment