Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday.

Ok....I've got the whole day off. I'm doing laundry now. I've eaten breakfast. It's 9:07 am. I could have gotten out of bed 30 minutes earlier but what ever. My friend Jaryl is coming over sometime. I kinda wish he wasn't. Not that I don't enjoy his company but because I really need to get a ton of writing done. I've got 3 scenes to write this week and I'm work a double on both Monday and Tuesday. (Wednesday being the day I see my writing coach.) But one should focus less on obstacles and more on how to get around obstacles. Also, I'm a big fan of "what ever starts your day sets your day." So to get up, get laundry going and already starting the writing warm up process, I'd say I'm in good shape so far.

I saw Scott Pilgrim Vs The World last night with Tyler. I have to say all around I was very impressed. Very rarely do movies live up to hype as well as this one did.  The fight scenes were impressive for a romance comedy. They were almost perfect. My only gripe with them is at parts they seemed to be lacking a sort of surprise quality to them. Jacki Chan puts it best. He talks about how his fight scenes are; hit, hit, funny thing, (like hitting a guy in the face with a refrigerator door.) In Ong Bak, it's hit, hit, super brutal hit. (Elbow to the eye socket.) It's easy to get lulled in a well choreographed fight scene and little surprise helps us stay interested. But don't get me wrong, the fights really are fantastic.

The movies biggest let down in Michael Cera. He does nothing different than what he ever does. He brings nothing to the character of Scott Pilgrim. In fact, he detracts from him. I've not read the comic, but from the script I got the feeling that the character was stupid in the sort of Goury  from Slayers sort of way. He doesn't get it, but we love him anyway. Michael Cera's aloof "whatever" performance leaves you almost hating Scott Pilgrim sometimes. And yea we are supposed to, but something just doesn't feel right.

But it doesn't matter. The script and Edgar Wrights's directing more than make up for it in droves. The movie is clever and hilarious. The jokes come a mile a minute and just when you think you've got it figured out, it throws you a curve ball. The supporting performance also really sell it. Ellen Wong, Kieran Culkin, Aubrie Plaza, Brandon Routh, Jason Schwartzman, Chris Evans, they all bring a unique quirkiness to their characters that fits the movie extraordinarily well. All in all it comes down to the incredible level of detail that has been put into this film. And it is a very satisfying experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment