Monday, August 16, 2010

The Tiger's Torment

Having a lot of trouble writing the 3rd scene of my play. So I'm going to try writing scenes that I won't use in the play but are maybe back story or perhaps a way to explore the characters and locations. The goal is to write a one act (though maybe two act) play which explores an ethereal plane (or dimension) that the main character is trapped in. Examples of this would be The Dreaming from Sandman, The Bathhouse (the whole world actually ) from Spirited Away. Narnia, The Black Lodge, Neverland, Wonderland...I think you get the picture.

Problem? The few worlds I want to create are now vague and unspecific. My main character Gabriel, has a lot of trouble wandering around because I've not created details. Who knew creating an imaginative and elaborate spiritual dimension would actually be hard? I owe Salvador Dali an apology.

So without further ado, here are meditations of the Empty Streets though the eyes of Tiger. (I believe I've talked to both of you about the character Tiger. Well this is pretty much the same character lifted from the other story and put into this one.)

The Tiger's Torment.

I inhabit a world frozen and unmovable . I am a ghost here. I find myself paralyzed and restrained. I gave up something and then gave into something. Gave up something? What was it? Why do I always fall into sleep for so long? His name. What is it?

I have been here so long my shoes have withered through their souls. Now my toes and my heels touch the icy cement. When I was a boy I remember the cement burning my feet on a summer day when your sweat drenched what clothes you had. Back then I'd jump in the grass. Here the grass is like shards of shattered crystal.

I think this world is the structure for the other world. The world I used to live in. The world with sun and people. This world has no sun. In the sky is always the moon and always the floating island. That is where He dwells. Some say He is trapped there. But I feel His presence. Always. Like the way I used to feel God's presence.

Some where in the other world a mirror is being made. Someone is crafting one. A light goes out and window becomes dark enough to become one.  Every body of water is one.  Mirrors are the window into the other world. As far as a mirror reflects, it's reflections exist here. A reflection is unstoppable. I am lighter than a feather in the path of the smallest pebble. I must always watch out for mirrors and those looking in it. A busy cross street and a rainstorm  are a dangerous combination.

The Kaonashi maintain this world. They keep changing it to more accurately match the other world. They ignore me. I am evidence of their failure.  I chose not to become one of them. I kept my identity. But the empty pit in my stomach gets bigger everyday. An intense anxiety, like when you've done something very wrong. An authority maybe knows it. And they want to talk to you. You feel that ten times over. Then it concentrates into the size of a baseball and rests in the lowest part of your stomach. Everyday it grows just a little little bit. That was the price to not become them. And yet more I pay.

TigEr?
I can hear him.
Of coUrsE yoU Can.
I can't get him out--
nO, yOU cAN't. :)
He's always alwaYs here hEre.

Stop it. Please.
oF cOuRSe, TigEr. i'll sTop iT.
Why does he always lie?
I nEveR lie. I tEll YOu whAt maTteRS.
Nothing matters anymore.
TigEr, tHat's sImpLY not trUE.   H e r e, let met make it p l e a n t.
The music starts to play. It is sweet. Like what o te r used to sing to you.
I listen. A microsecond is an hour's worth of feelings. I cease to function for one minute.

Thank you.
yOU aRE WeLcoMe, TigEr.

Do I have to?
yES. yOu dO. it iS VeRy iMporTaNt.
I'm sorry.
iT's oKay.
What do you need?
i NEeD yOu to meET Gabriel.
Why is his name so...so... um...
UNcorRUptEd?
Tears come. I can't stop them.
bEcAUSe, yOU neED tO shOW hiM tHe wAy


Have I done this before?
Hello?
He's gone for now. But He never leaves me. A circle of light appears. I step inside and it begins to move. This is how I will find Gabriel. He is not close. The trek will be long. But it is warm in the light. The Kaonashi don't ignore me now. They stare. I don't think they can hurt me. That's why He needs me. I think I know his name.

EriK.


No comments:

Post a Comment