Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The new day.

This is it. I'm living the dream. I can now officially call myself a starving artist.

Yesterday was my last day at work. I am not legally supposed to talk about the place as I had signed a confidentiality agreement. Or at least, I think I signed it.  And I don't know if that extends past my period of employment. Who reads contracts these days anyway? But if they really wanna sue me for crap I write about in this blog, go ahead. I don't plan on revealing any big secrets. *The Hay and Straw Linguine is people!!!*

My last day was pretty lame. I had to work a double shift (for the 2nd day in a row) and I got some of the worst tips I've ever made in my 6 years of waiting tables. New York may have higher priced menu items, but that doesn't mean shit if you're taking in <10% tips from the plethora of foreigners. Someone even took both copies of the receipt on a $70 check. I guess it was a sign that I'm moving in the right direction. In the last two days I served a couple of regulars who I broke the news of my departure.  Upon disclosing writing as my reason for leaving, some of them revealed they had connection to writing in some way and gave me their business cards. Not really sure if I should bother following up.

I'm a little worried about my social life. All the friends I made in New York in the last 6 month all work (or did) at Isabellas. So they'll be busy a lot. Since I don't plan on going to bars (as the sans drinking has begun) that limits my social areas. I've tried Meetup.com and I'd like to find a writer's circle. Other than that I'm out of ideas. Guess I'll be wandering the streets of New York alone.

I think I've got a decent blog idea. Rather than a run of the mill "Hi, I'm Ben, this is my blog, I'm going to write about X," I got the idea to combine a web comic with a blog. The blog will be written from two voices: friend A and friend B and their experiences in New York.  Friend A will likely be trying to pursue a writing career (one of the blog topics I wanted to write about) while Friend B's writings will be more romance/pick up based (the Neil Strauss idea.) I'll be able to review movies and video games, but have the two different characters have conflicting ideas about the subject matter. All that will be done likely in text/blog form. I'll use my own drawing/painting as comics to punctuate the blog (rather than have a 3 panel format/setup punch line.) I know it's very Penny-Arcade/every other webcomic ever. But by making it more blog-centric, using my own experiences, then skewing those experiences throw the lens of these character's fiction, I can make something entertaining, compelling, creative, and funny while challenging me to do more than document, but also create.  Thoughts? Comments?

I think want an iPad for my birthday. When I moved to New York, I sold my desktop and laptop to buy a better laptop. The idea was to go to coffee shops in New York and sit and write as I had done in Seattle. But New York doesn't work that way. Coffee shops are very crowded. If you are at a table and there is an unoccupied chair, chances are a stranger is going to sit there. Computer running low on batter? Good luck finding a wall outlet. There may be one in the establishment and you can bet your ass that guy who has been there for hours isn't moving for another 4 or 5. Also, once I leave my apartment I don't plan on coming back till the end of the day. That means I have have my workout clothes, my laptop, my kindle, and whatever other crap I have in my backpack that I'm lugging around as I walk for miles in the streets of New York. I don't like the idea of everything that's on my computer is on my back. What if my bag gets stolen? What if it rains and I forgot my umbrella?(as the case of the They Might Be Giants concert.) An iPad is light, small, has a good version of Celtx,( my script writing program) and much better battery life. I'd have to get the bluetooth keyboard, but no biggie.

My brother thinks I should wait for the iPad 3 or get a Macbook Air. I don't really want to spend $1000 on a new computer. Granted it would be lighter, but once again I don't like the idea of carrying around my whole computer all the time. I just want something portable to write with. As for waiting for the iPad 3, traditionally new iPads come out in March/April. However, Apple's traditional product cycle has kinda been  thrown out the window. Some websites think they'll release the 3 before Christmas, other sites say that the chips necessary for the iPads haven't been ordered yet meaning production hasn't even started, making a Christmas release impossible. Also it won't be my birthday in March/April. So what do you think? Macbook Air just so I can write? Get an iPad 2 when a 3 is around the corner?

Worked Up So Sexual -- The Faint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsHb7_Rdbuk


1 comment:

  1. Paper & Pen? Ask for money towards writing classes for your birthday. Instant friends from that too. Maybe give the pen & paper a try to see if it inspires you. It'd be nice to write in Central Park for hours and not have to worry about battery life. Though the weather's getting prety cold.

    There's libraries in NY right? Probably pretty crowded too and maybe full of bums, but at least they have computers there.

    As for the comic idea, is it going to be two guys? Maybe think about having it be two girls (you'd get to draw boobs all the time) or a guy and a girl. Just to switch things up.

    ReplyDelete