Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Happy Jewish New Year


I'm not going to services tonight. I'm going tomorrow morning and meeting up with some family in the evening. I feel bad I'm not going to services though. My new approach to life was to coincide with the New Year. It feels wrong I'm not fully committing to the holiday. However, I'm not a member of a synagogue and to join one isn't the cheapest thing. 

I started sketching some character ideas for the coming blog. Essentially these are caricatures of my friend Jake and my friend Chris. I have always strived to make my art either realistic or abstract. I've never been very good at cartoony.  Granted I used to draw X-Men a lot, but that's not exactly the look I'm going for. I'd like to distill the characters down to something pretty simple and quick. Perhaps two art styles? (ala 3 Panel Soul?) Maybe I'll try to draw some established comics to get the feel for the style.

The more effort I put into this blog and the future blog, the harder it is for me to concentrate on my 3rd play that I'm wrapping up.  Forget Me Not, the working title, has hit a snag. It's my first love story. I'm generally not happy with most fiction love stories. They oversimplify and the characters fall for attributes that I don't believe people in real life actually respond to.  However, I'm not sure I'm writing anything better.

I am procrastinating finding a new job because I really don't know how to go after it. No one else seems to have any idea either. I've been Craigslisting for "writing assistant" but all I really see are postings for copy writers or social media jobs. I guess I could do that. I also need to update and consolidate my resume. Is it worth having my Best Buy and waiting tables on a writing resume? Do I try to incorporate my 6 years of acting experience? Now that Same River Twice has been accepted into a play reading series should I make an "awards and achievements" section? Hopefully, the writing class I'm taking will give me some connections and advice.

A capella version of Hallelujah -- freakin' beautiful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pmsOHc4keM&feature=player_embedded

No comments:

Post a Comment