Thursday, September 22, 2011

The beginning of the end!

The title is a little over dramatic. I just think it's funny. Movies and TV use the tag line to say "It's the end" but giving them the freedom to continue. When the movie Star Trek: Nemesis came out Patrick Stewart was on the talk show circuit and in an interview (I think it was Conan) the interviewer was like, "so it's the end?" To which Stewart replied "It's the begging of the end." Implying there could be more movies. Of course, Nemesis was a terrible movie and it was the last one.

Funny story about titles. I was told that Star Trek: Nemesis was originally going to be called Star Trek: Resurrection  but Alien: Resurrection was a bad movie so they changed the name. Consequently Resident Evil: Apocalypse was supposed to be named Resident Evil: Nemesis (after the video game)  but changed it's name because the Star Trek movie was so poorly received. 

Well that was a good bit about nothing. At least I'm writing in this blog. I find it a personal achievement to be writing this as well as writing my play. In my pursuit of the goal to get a blog started I've run into the obstacle of picking a topic. Unlike this blog which is more of a journal/place to try out play ideas, a presentable and possibly lucrative blog apparently needs to have a topic. So yesterday I brainstormed topics:

Video games
Love/romance/dating
Art
Short stories
Technology
Restaurants/ waiting tables
Blu Ray/Dvds/Movies
Wine
Addiction/Recovery
Politics
Aspiring writer
Fetishes

I figured that the one in bold would probably be the best choice.  I can talk about video games and movies, but to be honest I don't keep on the cutting edge of either one. I suppose if I wanted a job at IGN or IMDB I could really focus and try to play video games and movies all the time and make a respectable blog. But I don't want to go in a journalism direction. Plus a video game blog on the internet is like a racial slur at a KKK rally. I'm not likely to get noticed.

I gave serious consideration to a "Guy's dating blog." Turn myself into Neil Strauss and document my adventures at the bars and clubs. But if I'm going to kick drinking, I should probably put dating aside. Generally you're not supposed to start relationships when you are quitting. Plus, I get pretty emotional when I'm dating and I could see myself falling back to drinking.

So I started looking at TV/Film writer's blog and started using the RSS feed. Crazy using the internet for reading rather than Gmail-->Facebook-->IGN-->Kotaku-->Slickdeals-->repeat. I've already gotten some good advice. Now I just need a title. The only clever one I could come up with was Write On Track which was, of course, taken.

In addition to writing some more of my new play, I am trying to get a 10 minute play written for a competition due October 2nd. 10 minute plays are kind of a bitch. You don't have enough time to develop anything substantial so you are essentially writing sketch comedy. The competition topic is the supernatural. The one thing I always write about and I have writer's block. Then I remembered a short piece I wrote when I first started writing. It's perfect for the competition. Just need to clean it up a bit. Maybe I'll throw it up here in on the blog. Or just ask me for it.

Lastly my play Same River Twice is likely going to be read in a play reading series in December. (Assuming I incorporate some notes the theatre company has given me) I feel most of their notes are accurate. But there is one that bothers me. I meet with one of the people today to discuss the notes over coffee. So that's kinda exciting.


Song of the day.  Back to Owl City. At first I didn't like the new album very much. But it's starting to grow on me. This is Yacht Club. It's not great, but  it has a really cool part at 2 min 50 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47wu7Q-D29Y


No comments:

Post a Comment