Two days ago I didn't have anything to drink. Last night I had one beer. Both of those are anomalies. My routine has been to have a minimum of 3 drinks before bed. I usually get that drunk (often more so) and put on a Futurama or Arrested Development via Netflix. I plan to get drunk at least one more time, after my last shift. But that's really more for the people at work then it is for me. After that I will spend the next 10 days sober. The ten days coincide with the ten days between Rosh Hashana.
"The ten days starting with Rosh Hashanah and ending with Yom Kippur are commonly known as the Days of Awe (Yamim Noraim) or the Days of Repentance. This is a time for serious introspection, a time to consider the sins of the previous year and repent before Yom Kippur."--http://www.jewfaq.org/
Seems like a good time to be sober. I haven't been continuously sober since I was 22. Around the time I was 23 I gave up pot. Or at least to the degree I was smoking it. From then I transitioned to alcohol. The alcohol was fine for a while. But within the last year it has gotten out of control. Thank God, it hasn't interfered with work or gotten me into trouble. Though most people from work practically laugh when I tell them I think I have a problem.
I caught the new show Person of Interest this morning. It stars James Caviezel (Jesus, The Passion of the Christ) and Michael Emerson (Ben Linus, LOST.) I'm watching it for Emerson. The premise is Caviezel's character John Reese former military bad ass now hobo because he lost the love of his life is approached by a Mr. Finch (Emerson.) It seems that Mr. Finch built a machine for the government after 9/11 that lets them monitor virtually all digital communication, public cameras, and internet activity. Using all this collected data, the machine deciphers probable major terrorist attacks. The machine also produces limited information on day to day premeditated crimes. (Murders/extortion/corruption etc.) However, these lesser, non terrorist crimes are simply discarded by the government. Mr. Finch felt guilty about these discarded predicted crimes and decides to hire John Reese so the two of them can prevent those crimes on their own. Unfortunately the machine doesn't give Finch much information. It simply gives him a social security number. He doesn't know if the person is a victim or a criminal. Just that someone bad is going to happen involving this person. Reese using his excellent military skills and Finch using his ability to hack into every piece of technology (people's cell phones, subway cameras, a laptop's webcam) the two of them to monitor their "person of interest." Think: that super computer that Batman and Morgan Freeman use at the end of The Dark Knight. Essentially, it's a less sci-fi version of Quantum Leap mixed with Minority Report. The show seems run of the mill and cliche, but it's only a pilot and it's also CBS.
With that I had better get to my other writings.
Make You Smile (+44)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOXbogK-Ujk
No comments:
Post a Comment