Saturday, March 24, 2012

A Year and Some Change.

I just passed my year anniversary in New York and it's time I brought things back into focus. It's been a long time since I've update this blog or MackJackandJill. Working out is at a bare minimum. I stopped writing topical jokes. And drinking is pretty much back to where it was before I "took the break." But the biggest sin of all is that, in the year I've been in the city of New York, I've done almost nothing to market myself as a writer.

Now it's not been all bad. Dating has been, to say the least, adventurous. There's even a girl I really like (though it seems to be almost over.) I've got a few friends under my belt. Same River Twice will be read by the Hudson Warehouse in May. And I've finished a few drafts of my TV pilot.

But the feeling that it's all slipping away is unavoidable. And that is my crisis. For the past six months or so, I've been taking two TV writing classes. And even though  they've been a great help in understanding the process and the system, they've afforded me the privilege of putting my life on "auto pilot."  As much I like this girl I'm seeing, she has been an incredible distraction. If she were online right now, I'd be talking to her instead of writing this blog. I've let myself fall harder than I should which has let me squeeze by with the minimal effort to my writing.  

So what now? As centered as I am at this moment. past experience has demonstrated diminishing resolve. I've proved to myself and to others that I am devoted and talented writer. The focus has to be now on getting those with power and money to believe it too. I've got a list of a few goals.

1) Get Hold Up performed. (That's a short play I wrote.)
2) Continue writing spec scripts. (1 per month.)
3) Get The Guilty optioned. (My pilot.)
4) Get known. However I'm supposed to do that.

It's scary. It really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment