Friday, January 6, 2012

Continuing the fight.

I've been wasting a lot of time lately. Yesterday was the first day I actually got some new writing done by starting my Raising Hope draft. I'm actually sorta proud of my idea for the episode. I've stolen a plot device from my favorite episode of Angel for it.

There's also a girl I've been texting lately. She seems pretty cool, but I haven't seen her in person. I always get nervous about girls I haven't seen (i.e. we've messaged on some dating site) but are responsive. I feel like if I'm going to be attracted to them, I'm going to have to prove myself. If they are responding that quickly and easily either somethings wrong or they're not going to be hot. This girl seems to get my humor and she likes video games. She actually played Metal Gear Solid 4 and he has downloaded some indie puzzle games! That should be a red flag I'm not going to be physically attracted to her.

I recently had a short fling with someone. She was young, a bit of a brat, and not over her ex boyfriend (which in retrospect may never have been her ex.) But she was hot. It ended abruptly as I expected it to. And even though I put up emotional roadblocks so as not to get hurt, I couldn't help but feel dejected and abandoned. I actually had a dream last night where she and I sat down for coffee and had a frank and honest discussion about our brief relationship. I asked her point blank if she ever broke up with her boy friend at all and she said "no." The dream was cathartic.


Been watching The Wire.  Saw the first season years ago. Now that I have it on DVD, I'm watching it with the subtitles. When you have a show that has it's plot developments happen in dialogue which involves throwing names around I get lost. The Wire does this and so does L.A. Confidential. For example:
 "Cop X has been playing Cop Y who is really corrupt and has been bank rolling Judge A to convict Mob-boss 1. Only thing is Prosecutor A has been a dick about is so Cop Y had Thug 2 threaten Prosecutor A but then Old Lady 2 saw it and now she's gonna snitch. And Cop X planned it all along." 
I honestly don't get characters' names on a TV show straight until the second season. Having subtitles helps a lot. Especially since there's so much cop and thug jargon. I'd do it with the West Wing, but the subtitles don't match up 100% and that shit drives me crazy.

My Nintendo 3DS has been getting some play lately. I've always ragged on The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Felt it was boring and overrated, Ganon(dorf) looked silly, (he's much cooler in Twilight Princess and the coolest in Wind Waker) and thought most of the game was boring. And a month before it was released, the first Metal Gear Solid came out and blew my fuckin' mind. So when people cry OcT was the best game ever I tend to roll my eyes.
 But I've been playing OcT: Master Quest on my 3DS. It's a harder and rearranged version of the N64 classic. And the re-release has some nice graphical updates.  I've actually been enjoying the game somewhat. The difficulty really make it exciting. Crazy huh? It's still not as good as Link to the Past.


And the other time waster has been The Dark Tower. Stephen King's fantasy epic has captivated me. I always held off reading it despite raves from my friends because I'm a relatively weak reader. I do okay with books that are 200-400 pages but after a while I lose interest or get distracted. I don't think I've read anything beyond 600 pages before in my life. I put down Michael Chabon The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay 100 pages from finishing it because I had been on and off so much that I forgot all the peripheral characters. When they showed up at the end for resolutions I had no idea what was going on. So to read a 7 book series, with several of those books being 600 pages plus, it just didn't seem like a good idea. But I bit the bullet and now I'm half way through the 2nd book and am happy with my decision. Also the Kindle does wonders. Another minus about a 600 page book is that you have to carry it around. Going out to a club? You're not bringing that thing with you. But now I can just sync it to my phone and continue reading it on the train. Isn't technology wonderful?




Song for the day:
2012 pop mash up by DJ earworm.

No comments:

Post a Comment