Monday, November 21, 2011

On the alcohol front.

Writing has been tough this week. I'm mostly happy with my 30 Rock spec script so now I'm doing revisions on Same River Twice. I'm trying to make the second act more compelling. Also I've been more focused on updating Mackjackandjill.

I actually think I've gotten a handle on my drinking. I seem to be able to moderate myself. Moderation is never something I've never been able to achieve before, so I am cautious.  I know it can spiral out of control. I haven't drank consecutive nights in a row. The other night was the first I went out for drinks with people since I quit. As for my drinking in solitude, I've been buying a six pack and trying to keep it a long as I can. I feel this works because when I really want a drink, I have it, but the scenario gives me pause. Is it really worth it tonight?  Can't I keep 4 beers in it a little longer?

This is opposed to going to the near by Ding Dong and partaking in their drink and shot special for $6, or even going into the convenient store/deli and picking up just one beer. Those situations give me no accountability. Their consequences are gone as soon as I've paid the tap. But to have the physical beer in the fridge, knowing I'm keeping it there is a kind of achievement for me. A trophy even. I've also been successful in not drinking in bad moods. When ever I have the feeling of "I've had a shitty day" I specifically try not to drink that night. The goal is to break alcohol as an escape or amelioration.

I go back to Dallas on Wednesday for Thanksgiving. I'm excited to pack light because of my iPad. In the past my backpack has been stuffed with such weights as; my laptop, iPod, a Gameboy Advance/Nintendo DS/DS Lite/DS*OMG*WTF, TIME magazine, Maxim magazine, graphic novels, actual novels, sketch pad, power cords, etc. Now it's going to limited to iPad, keyboard, Kindle, legal pad, and iPod. I've got this tiny messenger bag. I love it. So light.
I also used to carry along this cigarette adapter.
My laptop would only get an hour or so of power on the plane. That was half a movie or I could do writing. Some planes have cigarette lighter power ports. Unfortunately, not all rows had the power ports. Of all the dozens of times I've flown with the cigarette adapter, I think I used it once. No longer will I need my power adapter for in flight entertainment. My iPad should have more than enough power for the 4 hour flight.

What have I been listening to?
I'll do another Coldplay. But covered in the acapella style of Mike Thompkins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2YSo8Z_-a4

No comments:

Post a Comment