Monday, August 1, 2011

A Support Group.

I went with a friend to a support group today. I've always resisted the notion that I would be someone who had to got them despite my trouble with my own addictions. I figured sooner or later I'd end up at one but I never wanted to admit that my life is out of my own control. The meeting was for an addiction that didn't apply to me so I did say anything. If you've never been to a meeting or never seen it's representation on TV, people sit around in a circle and talk. You're not to make any comments or give feed back unless you want to at the end of the meeting. Usually when I sit in groups (school, work) I spend my time thinking about what I'm going to say and I don't really listen. But here in this circle I listened like I've never listened. When you are in a support group the defenses are down. You're not hiding or trying to prove anything. The people are so damn vulnerable. The very air in the room is so fundamentally different. I started crying during someone speech. Not cause what they said directly, but because what was being said allowed my own internal journey to what troubles me.

I also noticed that a lot of people in the room were left handed. I wonder if we're predisposed to addictions.

Envy on the Coast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z42r4x5NY38

No comments:

Post a Comment