Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hold Up.

This is a scene I wrote a while ago when I first started writing seriously. Thought I'd throw it up here.



Hold up. 

Scene 1

Corner bus stop.  6 am on a Saturday. Eerily deserted.  An overcast day. It is chilly but not cold.  Upon lights up, we see Victor staring down the street anticipating a bus. He is a man in his early 30. He checks his watch. 
Victor: Damnit!
He paces a bit, all the while keeping his attention on the very spot the bus will turn the corner and then will be visible. Michael appears strolling to the bus stop. He is well dressed, the same or similar age to Victor. 
Michael: Hi.
Victor: Hey.
Michael: The 46 come by yet? His attention now is also on the horizon, but he is more at ease than Victor. Also Michael only glances at the horizon from time to time, his attention is less focused and more relaxed.
Victor: Yea I think so.
Michael: It could just be late.
Victor: It’s 15 minutes already.
Michael: I’ve seen later.
Victor: Yea?
Michael: A bus can break down.
Victor: Well I don’t see anyone around. Usually means it came.
Michael: Not this early. Especially on a Saturday. (Yawns)
A few moments of silences as Michael sits at the bench. He takes out a cigarette. Victor remains fixed. Michael searches his pockets. 
Michael: Shit. You don’t have a light do you?
Victor: Huh?
Michael: A light? Indicates the cigarette.
Victor: Oh, yea.  Victor goes over to Michael on the bench.
Michael: Thanks. Lights the cigarette. Offers Victor one.
Victor: Uh..um. No I don’t think so.
Michael: Ok. Thanks. Returns the lighter.
Victor walks a few steps to the curb, closer than he has been. 
Michael: You quit?
Victor: Trying.
Michael: I’ve done that a few times. But I always come back. I fall apart at work if I don’t have one.
Victor chuckles.
Michael: Oh yea? You know the feeling?
Victor: Oh God yes.
Michael stabs out the cigarette. 
Michael: I never finish.
Michael takes out a flask. Victor tries not to stare.
Michael: I just take a sip. We all are flawed individuals. My ritual. I smoke half a cigarette and wash my mouth out. Indicates with flask. When I start the day, again at lunch, and once more before I leave.
Victor is skeptical.
Michael: It’s better than a gallon of coffee. At my office, there’s this perky obsessive woman who never drinks water. Just coffee. Constantly. We have a pool going for the day her heart explodes.
Victor laughs.
Michael:  Breakfast of champions? Extends flask.
(Beat.)
Michael: It’s time to face the fact you’re catching the next bus.
Victor is almost broken. 
Michael:   What are you going to do for the next 40 minutes?
Victor accepts the flask.
Michael: I’m Michael.
Victor: Victor. Takes a sip. Oh my god. Is this a single malt?
Michael: You know your Scotch.
Victor: You kidding me? (Beat.)  Something’s different about this one.
Michael: I tricked you.  It’s not a Scotch actually. It is a Japanese Whiskey.  Suntory Yamazaki. 18 year.
Victor: Yes! It won the Double Gold at the San Fran Spirits in ‘05.
Michael: You’ve had it before?
Victor: No, but we serve it at my restaurant. It’s $110 a bottle.
Michael: Waiter?
Victor: Living the dream.  You drink this every day.
Michael: Well, not always this one. But it is Saturday.
Victor: Yea, why are you going into work on a Saturday?
Michael: Middle managers fucked up a big account.
Victor: What do you do?
Michael: I oversee the downtown branch of Meisner Millers and Gold.
Victor nods.
Michael: It’s a financial firm.
Victor: Oh! Nice.
Michael: Has its perks. Which restaurant?
Victor: The Market Grill.
Michael: On 6th right?
Victor:  That’s the place.
Michael:  They do breakfast now?
Victor: Brunch. But they start really early.
Michael: Ah.
Michael: How’s waiting tables?
Victor: It was nice when I was 22.
Michael: Tips good?  Market Grill’s a nice place.
Victor:  It used to be enough.
Michael: What do you really do?
Victor: Excuse me?
Michael: No one just waits tables. You an actor?
Victor: (chuckles) No.
Michael: Not a painter.  I’d have to guess Musician.
Victor: How’d you know?
Michael: You’ve been rhythmically tapping you thigh.
Victor: I’m a terrible poker player.
Michael: You got any gig’s coming up?
Victor: No not really.
Michael: Got a CD?
Victor: An old one. Self produced. Got tired of standing on the street.
Michael:  What guitar did you have?
Victor:  A Fender Stratocaster. I had a generous uncle. But I sold it.
Michael: What? Why?
Victor: Sometimes you just gotta face facts…
Michael: Sometimes you just gotta wait for the next bus.
Victor: Sometimes you gotta get off a sinking ship.
Michael: So what’s next?
Victor: I… don‘t know.
Michael: You ever thought about job in finance?
Victor: At a place like yours?
Michael: Sure.
Victor:  Haha. That will be the day.
Michael: Why not?
Victor: I don’t have MBA.
Michael: You wouldn’t be a manager anytime soon, but brokers make good commission.  Learning the ropes doesn’t take long.
Victor: Are you offering me a job?
Michael: Thought cross my mind.
Victor: Why would you want me to be a financial broker? You don’t even know me.
Michael: There are certain types of people who tend to do well in finance. I am where I am because I’m good at spotting them.
Victor: Are you scouting?
Michael: Always. In an job interview I can tell in 30 seconds.  The best ones don’t need 10 seconds of financial training. And an MBA from an Ivy League, doesn’t guarantee  people skills.
Victor: I’ve got people skills. What do brokers usually take home?
Michael: Starting? About a “k” a week. That can triple.
Victor: And you’re considering taking a chance on me?
Michael: Why don’t we walk over to 32nd and we’ll get a cab downtown? Chat on the ride. I’ll ask you some question, but I think I know what I need to.  Then I’ll have the cab drop you at your restaurant.
Victor: Umm… beats waiting for the bus.
End of Scene 1.

Scene 2

The men walk. Victor has Michael’s flask in his hand. Both men are jovial.
Michael: …but the dog has peed all over the rug, the vase is shattered to shit, and Molly just looks at me with these laser beam eyes. All I can say is, “I told you I’m afraid of spiders.”
Both men burst out laughing.
Victor: I’ve read tabloids more plausible than that.
Michael: I shit you not.
Victor: My god. No idea what I’d do in that situation.
Michael:  Michael search his pockets Oh shit..
Victor: What?
Michael: I left my wallet back at my condo. Got my check book and my keys. I could have sworn…
Victor: So what now?
Michael: The taxis are cash only. Why don’t you pick up the cab and I’ll write you a check?
Victor:  I barely have enough for lunch.  You have your cards?
Michael: In my wallet.  There’s an ATM across the street.
Victor: You know, I think the next bus is almost here.
Michael: The cab is 20 bucks tops. I’ll write you a check for $50. Inconvenience fee. Takes out check book.  He is filling out the check as he is talking. What is your last name Victor?
Victor: Maybe this isn’t such a good idea.
Michael: What? You don’t think the check will clear?
Victor: It’s not that, thanks for the walk…but I don’t feel right.
Michael: Just a cab ride. If you don’t like the check, we can go to my office. I’ve got cash there.
Victor: Here’s a thought,  just give me your business card and  I’ll call you. I’m late enough as it is.
Michael: That’s why we should cab.
Victor: I’m sorry I have a thing about cabs.
Michael: Why are you being all weird?
Victor: I’d rather take the bus. It’s nothing…it’s not you…
Michael: Victor.
Victor: Yea?
Michael: I think you’d better go over to that ATM.
Victor: Why is that?
Michael Reveals gun in holster.
Victor:  Fuck.
Michael: That’s right.
Victor:  I don’t know what you are thinking but I’m not going to an ATM.
Michael: Do you want to test me?
Victor: Look I’m just going to grab my wallet. See, I’ve got 15 dollars in here, That’s it.
Michael: Give me the wallet.
(Beat)
Michael: Debit card.
Victor: You think I have any more in the bank?
Michael: It’s worth looking.
Victor: I’m a waiter. How much do you think I have?
Michael:  Let’s do a balance inquiry. If you have less than 50 bucks, you can go.
Victor:  Gives Michael the wallet. Why are you doing this to me? You were drinking $110 whiskey?
Michael: You don’t know shit about whiskey. Inspects wallet. Victor Evans.
Victor: You know, the most you can take out is $300?
Michael:  You’ve got two ATM cards here. Who is Eloise Marshall and why do you have her bank card?
Victor: She’s no one.
Michael: Did you steal your ex‘s bank card?
Victor: I don’t know the PIN to that one.
Michael: We’ll see.
They walk a bit in silence.
Victor: Does the bus stop con work a lot?
Michael: Well enough on pathetic chumps?
Victor: I’m pathetic?
Michael: Yes sir.
Victor: Why because I’m 30 and I wait tables?
Michael: If that’s all you are doing, yes.
Victor:  You are so full of shit.
Michael: Do you really want to antagonize me?
Victor: I need this money, Michael.
Michael: I do too, Victor.
Victor: I really need it.
Michael: Too bad.  They arrive at the atm. Step right up. Show me that balance.
Victor goes to the ATM and inserts card. After a few moments, the money dispenses as does a receipt. 
Victor: Here. Hands Michael the money. Michael counts it.
Michael: It’s only $240. Victor hands him the receipt.
Victor: Remaining balance: Two dollars, thirty four cents. Thanks.
Michael: Fair enough.
Victor: Okay. We done?
Michael: Victor?
Victor: What?
Michael: The other card.
Victor: You’ve got $240.  Let’s just leave it at that and part ways.
Michael pulls out the pistol, cocks it, and aims it at Victor.
Michael: Put the card in the machine, Victor.
Victor puts the card in the machine. Then does nothing.
Michael: What are you waiting for?
Victor: It’s not my money.
Michael: I don’t care.
Victor: I don’t know the code.
Michael: I’m not going to ask you again.
Victor: What do you want me to do?
Michael: I want you to stop lying to me and use the card.
Victor: I’m lying?
Michael: You don’t believe I’ll shoot you in the knee cap.
Victor:  I can’t tell you something I don’t know!
Michael: Then why do you have the card Victor?
Beat 
Michael: Well?  Did she give it to you? Did you steal it?
Victor: No it’s--
Michael: You wouldn’t have it on you if you didn’t know the PIN.
Victor is stumped.
Michael: So unless you can tell me why you really have this card, I’ll find your little girlfriend Eloise, and I’ll get her to tell me the PIN.
Victor: It’s 2 3 10.
Michael puts his gun away, goes over to the ATM, sprays something on the camera. Enters PIN. 
Michael: Thank you, Victor.
Victor:  Please don’t do this.
Michael: You can go now.
Victor: Eloise Marshall isn’t my girlfriend.
Michael: Try match.com
Victor: She’s my daughter’s mother.
Michael looks at Victor.
Victor: And she’s trusting me.
Michael: Ok.
Victor: You‘re right. I’m pathetic.  Three months ago it was a miracle if I stayed the whole day sober.  I’ve let down my parents, my friends, everyone. Keeping a job for more than 6 months is a monument. Then Diana was born.
Michael:  2-3-10?
Victor:  Now Eloise doesn’t like me very much.  I did a lot of not nice things to her. But she has the mercy of an angel and the faith of a nun.   She wants her daughter to grow up with her father. But he can’t be pathetic. He has worth something. So instead of going to court and making me pay child support, she gave me one last chance.
I put 200 dollars in her account every week.  I have to ability to take money out. But I won’t because the card in that machine is trust. The most important trust that has ever been given to me. I value it more than my guitar, more than the whiskey, more than my freedom.
Yes, you could walk with this money, and I could tell her what happened, that you robbed me.  She might accept it. And she might forgive me. But deep down, I will have lost the last ounce of trust she ever gave me. She will always wonder if I just lied to her again or that I was hanging out in the wrong part of town, practically asking to be robbed. She will begin to close me out.  She will never fully let me into Diana’s life ever again.  That’s what you will be stealing from me Michael, or whatever your name is. If you have any decency, any sympathy, please let me keep this.
(A moment.)
Michael: You have a picture of her?
Victor: Yea. It is in the wallet. In the insert.
Michael takes a good hard look at the picture.
Michael: She’s pretty.
Victor: You have no idea.
Michael ejects the card from the machine.
Michael: Alright. I’m going to buy this picture from you.  Here’s $240. Puts the money and cards back into the wallet. And here’s Eloise’s card back.
Victor: You know I’d really rather you di--
Michael: I can keep the $240.
Victor: Never mind.
Michael hands the wallet back to Victor.
Michael: Now, get out of  here.
Victor: Thank you.

Victor runs off. Michael looks at the picture for a moment then take out a cell phone. 
Michael: Yea. Percy?  No, not yet. I swear to God by tomorrow. No that’s not necessary. Please…you know me.

Black Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment